- We self catered the event for over 40 people,
- We sold out of all of the softcover books,
- and an amazing time was had by all!
(everyone kept saying it, so it must be true!)
The week leading up to the event was a whirlwind of activity, running around, ordering supplies, getting stuff printed, and making a myriad of tiny decisions that lead up to the final event! I know that I was running on very little sleep trying to balance all of this and work at the same time.... although the lack of sleep was worth it with the reviews on the Choux Beef Buns ;)
- Kingwood Capital - $1,000 cash donation
- BeedieGroup - $1,000 cash donation
- Vij’s - $100 gift card to Vij’s on West 4th
- LUSH – 2 gift baskets totaling $100
- Alison Columbus, Brand Ambassador for Nerium International - $200 gift basket of age-defying skin care products from Nerium
- ZAG Global – the brand that manufacturers the Zend product line - $50
Our guest speaker for the evening was Margaret Benson, a CF survivor and double lung transplant. As always she did an amazing job speaking about her life and the challenges she overcame. To say the least it was a tough act to follow. So, when I had my time to speak, I actually called in a favor.... I connected with Tino Makuvire, who is a Makomborero student, currently studying on scholarship at McGill University. His video allowed me to highlight the importance of this project and giving back (his video is also on the Giving Back page if you want to see it).
In the end I shared my own lessons learned from the project:
- A little bit of pressure is a good thing!
- Commitment is hard.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Your journey is your own…. Listen to others’ wisdom but make your own decision!
I truly hope that this project is able to positively impact just one person, to make better decisions and to understand that they are not alone in the world. Not every story in the book is for everyone - but hopefully something in there resonates with you!
Big Thank You's to:
My contributors from around the world, our graphic designer (Bridget), editor (Theresa), logo & t-shirt designer (Ryan), Pull Focus Film School (and our video participants), Kickstarter supporters, and our organization committee for the launch event (Margaret, Michelle & Sandie with special mention for Jill & Kara!) I could not have done this without you.
Just one more thing, I do have a small favor to ask of you.... please spread the word about The20Project. Please share our website, share our blog and if you have read the book - either send us a review or tell us how it has changed your life! We are also happy to host guest bloggers!
Much love out to you all,